Life Saving provides an amazing array of junior competition options for Nippers from U8 – U13s. Competing against other life saving clubs in a healthy and friendly environment at various bay and surf beaches from December to March each year. Nippers can compete in many different disciplines: beach running, wade, ‘flags’, board events, belt & reel and swimming to further develop the lifesaving skills we teach during the season.
Nippers are encouraged to compete for Mount Martha LSC. All MMLSC Competitors in Under 9-13 will be invited to join the Junior Development Squad. This program will offer high level intensive coaching and give Nippers an opportunity to further develop their skills. They will have access to additional training and support from coaches and mentors, including surf sessions, team building and other training activities.
Parent Volunteer Assistance
LSV Carnivals are managed by volunteers. All clubs are required to provide water safety, officials, setup/packup volunteers. Parents will be needed at most carnivals to help out.
Competition Swim Evaluation
All Junior athletes U9-U13 must complete their Competitive Swim Evaluation (CSE). The CSE is a swim (distance based on age) in open water to verify that competitors have the ability to race. It is important to note that athletes (especially younger ones) need a good deal of practice to develop competency for swimming in open water and surf conditions
Competition Skills Evaluation
|Age Group||Distance Requirements|
|Under 8||N/A (this age group competes in beach and wade events only)|
|Under 9||Minimum 150m open water swim in 12 minutes|
|Under 10||Minimum 150m open water swim in 11 minute|
|Under 11||Minimum 288m open water swim in 12 minutes|
|Under 12||Minimum 288m open water swim in 10 minutes|
|Under 13||Minimum 288m open water swim in 9 minutes|
Once you have had a chat to your Coach and/or Age Manager and decided to participate in a carnival you need to register your child. The registration is simply done online via our payment gateway (see below for instructions). The process is the same for every carnival including the State Championships, however please note the fee differences.
You can do as many carnivals as you like during the season. After the close of each carnival registration timeline the coaches are provided the names of the Nippers who are competing in their age groups.
Once you have had a chat to your Age Manager or Coach and decided to participate in a carnival you need to register first. The registration is simply done online via Team App Events. The process is the same for every carnival including the State Championships, however please note the fee differences.
Carnival Fees – currently under review for 2023/24 season
Carnival $ per athlete
State Championship $ per athlete
- All Carnival payments can be made via the Team App Events. Please make sure you have Team App downloaded onto your smart phone and search for Mount Martha Life Saving Club, join Nippers and the Nipper Competition Team.
- Find the date of the Carnival you wish to register for and proceed with the payment process and RSVP.
- Entry fees must be paid by due date – no late entries, no entries on the day.
- Withdrawals on the day need to be registered at the LSV tent before 10.00 am. It is your responsibility to advise your Coach/Team Manager on or before the day of absence/non attendance (refunds will be made if you ensure this gets done and the change is made at the LSV Tent on the day).
- No withdrawals after closing date for 2022 Victorian Championships.
- Your carnival entry CANNOT be processed if your club membership has not been completed or you have not completed your competition swim.
What to Bring
- Nippers cap & Fluoro vest
- Nippers t-shirt + wide brim hat (to wear during marshalling)
- Bathers/goggles/silicon hats/wetsuits/thongs/towel/sunscreen
- Rain coat & warm clothes
- Water bottle & snacks/lunch
- Back pack/bag for nipper to carry above items